7 Emerging Artists You Should Know About, in Vanity Fair by Hope Wellington, December 7, 2015.
Artist Profile, in the Huffington Post by Joel Garten, February 7, 2014.
• ”The coolest thing ever done… a showcase for some of today’s most inventive artists.”
Oregon Arts Watch by Charles Rose, July 27, 2022
• ”Wielding lightning-fast syncopated stickwork, Sandbox Percussion created a hypersonic morse code…”
Musical America by James Bash, July 27, 2022
• ”One major highlight was the group’s riveting, stop-the-clocks Gilmore-commissioned performance of a work by Tyshawn Sorey. It was a stunning display of discipline, memory, coordination, use of space and piano as percussion instrument, offering offsetting vibes, gongs and water-glass/tape loop “bells,” all of it synchronized.”
Downbeat by John Ephland, June 14, 2022
• ”Andy Akiho’s 11-part, 80-minute new work for percussion quartet is a lush, brooding celebration of noise.”
The New York Times by Zachary Woolfe, December 2, 2021
• “Sandbox delivers each piece with unassailable accuracy and commitment..”
I Care If You Listen by James May, May 22, 2019
• “…the virtuosic [Sandbox Percussion] play from memory, so attuned to each other that it all becomes performance art, utterly mesmerising to watch.”
The Guardian by Rian Evans, May 22, 2019
• “…Rosenbaum is a virtuoso. His ensemble was…uncanny to [the] point that one wasn’t always sure which instrument was playing which note.”
New York Concert Review by Barrett Cobb, November 21, 2019
• “…the concert was a rousing success…and marimbist Ian David Rosenbaum delivered a spectacular solo performance.”
The Wall Street Journal by Brett Campbell, July 24, 2018
• “…I have never heard [the marimba] played, nor imagined it could be played, the way Rosenbaum plays it. Simply breathtaking…a lesser performer could not have attempted nor even dreamed of giving the kind of performance Rosenbaum did. It was absolutely astounding, the most technically astute and artistically intuitive kind of exhibition anyone could hope for from a true virtuoso.”
Northwest Reverb by Lorin Wilkerson, July 12, 2018
• “…prolific and precise performance by Sandbox Percussion’s Ian Rosenbaum…Sandbox Percussion let loose like a bombshell of raw talent…”
I Care If You Listen by Kevin Baldwin, November 10, 2017
• “…Sandbox brought out the immediacy, lack of pretension and high-end playfulness that seems — thankfully — to be revitalizing the world of contemporary music. And their jaw-dropping virtuosity made it all seem like . . . well, child’s play.”
The Washington Post by Stephen Brookes, March 21, 2016.
• “…the meteoric young talent Ian Rosenbaum…”
MusicalAmerica by Daniel Stephen Johnson, November 6, 2016.
• “…on the marimba, Rosenbaum is an effortless virtuoso…”
D Magazine by Catherine Womack, April 27, 2015.
• “…the effect was mesmerizing…”
Theater Jones by J. Robin Coffelt, April 26, 2015.
• “…Rosenbaum…played with unfailing virtuosity whatever the music…”
Chicago Tribune by Alan Artner, February 6, 2015.
• “…John Cage’s hypnotic In a Landscape…was mesmerizingly executed by Rosenbaum…”
Chicago Classical Review by Tim Sawyier, February 6, 2015.
• ”…[Rosenbaum] offered an alluring interpretation of Takemitsu’s piece…
The New York Times by Vivien Schweitzer, February 4, 2015.
• “…a marvelously subtle performance tonight by [Rosenbaum]. His remarkable ability to sustain the hushed and mysterious atmosphere of the piece gave me the chills…
Oberon’s Grove by Phillip Gardner, February 4, 2015.
• ”…one of the nations great percussionists…is capable of extraordinary music making…”
Atlanta Music Critic by William Ford, October 5, 2014.
• “[Iannis Xenakis' "Rebonds"] was played with almost superhuman technical ability by percussionist Ian David Rosenbaum.”
Atlanta Music Critic by William Ford, July 20, 2014.
• “…[Rosenbaum] opened the program with Alejandro Viñao’s “Khan Variations” for marimba, a seductive work that showed off Mr. Rosenbaum’s knack for exploiting the instrument’s lyrical and percussive qualities…”
The New York Times by Corinna da Fonseca-Wollheim, April 18, 2014.
• “…gracefully played by Ian David Rosenbaum…”
New York Classical Review by George Grella, April 18, 2014.
• “…percussionist Ian David Rosenbaum shone in the third movement…”
New York Classical Review by Sophia Vastek, April 12, 2014.
• “…delivered expertly by percussion virtuoso Ian David Rosenbaum…”
Oberon’s Grove by Phillip Gardner, April 11, 2014.
• “…Rosenbaum was as much fun to watch as to listen to…”
The Washington Post by Joan Reinthaler, March 24, 2014.
• ”….marimbist Ian David Rosenbaum provided subtle and complex marimba backgrounds….”
New Haven Independent by Christopher Arnott, February 9, 2014.
• ”Rosenbaum’s command on all things percussive cannot be exaggerated…I have to admit that the performance was amazing…”
San Diego Reader by Robert Bush, October 2, 2013.
• “…the highlight of the program for me, Rosenbaum’s supremely elegant and meditative reading of John Cage’s In a Landscape…”
NewMusicBox by Sidney Chen, August 8, 2013.
• ”…Rosenbaum was a model of fine musicianship…”
Trib Total Media by Mark Kanny, August 3, 2013.
• “…a brilliant performance…”
Mercury News by Georgia Rowe, July 20, 2013.
• ”…pianist Gilles Vonsattel and the percussionist Ian David Rosenbaum were precisely attuned…”
New York Times by Zachary Woolf, October 19, 2012.